The PMS5003 is a low-cost laser particle counter, one of a range of sensors by Plantower that also include the PMS1003, PMS3003, and PMS7003. PMS5003 is a kind of digital and universal particle concentration sensor, which can be used to obtain the number of suspended particles in the air, i.e. the concentration of particles, and output them in the form of a digital interface. This sensor can be inserted into variable instruments related to the concentration of suspended particles in the air or other environmental improvement equipment to provide correct concentration data in time.
Air Quality Sensor that can measure particulate matter like PM2.5, PM1.0, PM10.
Plantower PMS5003 is a laser dust sensor. Sensor uses laser light scattering principle to measure value of dust particles suspended in the air. Sensor provides precise and reliable reading of PM2.5 value. If you are looking for PM2.5 and PM10 please look at Nova Fitness SDS011.
WITNESS real-time, reliable measurement of PM2.5 dust concentrations! (PM2.5 refers to particles that are 2.5 microns or smaller in diameter.) This sensor uses laser scattering to radiate suspending particles in the air, then collects scattering light to obtain the curve of scattering light change with time. The microprocessor calculates equivalent particle diameter and the number of particles with different diameter per unit volume.
Breathe easy, knowing that you can track and sense the quality of the air around you with the PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor with Breadboard Adapter particulate sensor. Mad Max & Furiosa definitely should have hooked up one of these in their truck while scavenging the dusty desert wilderness of post-apocalyptic Australia. And for those of us not living in an Outback dystopia, this sensor + adapter kit is great for monitoring air quality, and super easy to use!
How does this Sensor work?
Well, This sensor works on the principle of laser scattering, which entails irradiating suspended particles in the air with a laser to cause scattering, collecting the scattered light at a specific angle, and calculating the intensity of the scattered light over time. Furthermore, the microprocessor calculates the equivalent particle size of the particles and the number of particles of various particle sizes per unit volume using the MIE theory algorithm.
- VCC Supply voltage 5V 4.5 – 5.5V
- GND Ground
- SET HIGH or SUSPENDED – work mode LOW – sleep mode 3.3V logic
- RXD UART/TTL data recieve 3.3V logic
- TXD UART/TTL data transmit 3.3V logic
- Reset LOW to reset 3.3V logic
- NC Not connected
- NC Not connected
Some of the PM2.5 pins are numbered from left to right as 1, 2, 3……8. But in case of PM5003, the pins are named from right to left. Be careful while connecting PM5003 pins as you might connect it reversely.
- Laser scattering principle, accurate measurement
- Zero false alarm rate
- Real-time response
- Correct data
- Minimum distinguishable particle diameter :0.3 micrometer
- High anti-interference performance because of the patent structure of six sides shielding
- Optional direction of air inlet and outlet in order to adapt the different design
|Supply voltage:||4.5 V to 5.5 V|
|Power consumption (work):||below 100 mA|
|Power consumption (standby):||below 200 μ|
|Sensitivity||50% – 0.3 μm
98% – 0.5 μm and larger
|Work temperature:||-10 °C to 60 °C (Outdoor)|
|Size:||50 x 38 x 21 mm|
|Shipment Weight||0.040 kg|
|Shipment Dimensions||7 × 5 × 3 cm|
- The metal shell is connected to the internal power ground. Be careful not to short-circuit it with other external board circuit or chassis shell.
- The best installation method is to connect the plane with air inlet and outlet holes with the user’s machine’s inner wall (where there are gas holes connect with the outside). If this method is impossible to use, make sure there is no obstacles within 2cm of the air outlets, and there should be a structure between the air inlet and the air outlet to isolate the airflow and avoid the airflow from the air outlet to the air inlet directly inside the user machine.
- The vent opening on the inner wall of the user machine for the air inlet should not be smaller than the size of the air inlet.
- When applied to purifier products, try to avoid placing the sensor directly in the air duct of the purifier. If it is unavoidable, set up a separate structural space and place the sensor in it to isolate it from the air duct of the purifier.
- When used with purifiers or fixed detection equipment, the sensor position should be more than 20cm above the ground. Otherwise, it may be contaminated by large dust particles or even flocs near the ground, causing the fan to wind and block rotation.
- When the sensor is applied to outdoor fixed equipment, the protection against sandstorms, rain and snow, and willow catkins, etc. should be completed by the equipment.
- The sensor should be an integral component, the user should not disassemble it, including the metal shielding shell, to prevent irreversible damage.
- This sensor data ensures the consistency between the factory individuals, and does not use third-party testing equipment or data as a comparison standard. If the user wants the final measurement result to be consistent with a third-party testing equipment, the user can perform data fitting based on the actual collected results.
- This sensor is suitable for ordinary indoor environment. If the user equipment is used in the following actual environments, corresponding protective measures should be added to the sensor, otherwise the data consistency may decrease due to excessive dust, oil, and water ingress:
- Places where more than 50% of the time, the dust concentration is greater than 300mg/m^3 or more than 20% of the time, the dust concentration is greater than 500mg/m^3, for example a smoking room.
- Oily fume environment, such as kitchen
- High vapour environment, such as hot spring, bathroom
- Digital universal particle concentration sensor (PMS5003 series data manual)
- The Plantower PMS5003 and PMS7003 Air Quality Sensor experiment
- PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor Manual Created by lady ada
- Learn from Adafruit
- Interfacing PMS5003 PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor with Arduino
- Wiki from DFrobot
1 x PM2.5 Air Quality Sensor PMS5003 High Precision Digital Output Module